Kamis, 30 Juni 2011

[C267.Ebook] Get Free Ebook Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Get Free Ebook Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Checking out book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman, nowadays, will certainly not require you to constantly acquire in the establishment off-line. There is a wonderful place to purchase guide Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman by on-line. This internet site is the best website with great deals varieties of book collections. As this Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman will certainly be in this book, all publications that you need will certainly correct here, as well. Simply look for the name or title of guide Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman You could find exactly what you are searching for.

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman



Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Get Free Ebook Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman. The developed technology, nowadays support everything the human needs. It consists of the day-to-day tasks, works, workplace, enjoyment, and a lot more. Among them is the great net link and computer system. This condition will reduce you to support among your hobbies, checking out practice. So, do you have going to read this book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman now?

Also the price of an e-book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman is so cost effective; several individuals are truly stingy to establish aside their cash to purchase the e-books. The various other reasons are that they feel bad as well as have no time to visit guide establishment to look the e-book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman to review. Well, this is contemporary age; a lot of e-books can be obtained conveniently. As this Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman and much more publications, they could be entered quite quick means. You will certainly not require to go outside to obtain this e-book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman

By visiting this page, you have actually done the ideal staring point. This is your begin to select guide Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman that you really want. There are whole lots of referred e-books to check out. When you wish to obtain this Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman as your publication reading, you can click the link page to download Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman In couple of time, you have actually possessed your referred publications as all yours.

Due to this publication Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman is offered by on the internet, it will certainly relieve you not to publish it. you could obtain the soft file of this Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman to conserve in your computer system, gadget, and also a lot more tools. It relies on your determination where and where you will certainly review Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman One that you should always remember is that reviewing book Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour To The Countries, Factories, And People That Make Our Clothes, By Kelsey Timmerman will certainly endless. You will have eager to check out other publication after finishing a publication, as well as it's continually.

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman

Globalization makes it difficult to know where the things you buy come from. Journalist and travel writer Kelsey Timmerman wanted to know where his clothes came from and who made them, so he traveled from Honduras to Bangladesh to Cambodia to China and back. Along the way, he met the people who made his favorite clothes and learned as much about them as he did about globalization itself. Enlightening and controversial at once, this book puts a human face on globalization.

  • Sales Rank: #706696 in Books
  • Published on: 2008-11-24
  • Original language: English
  • Number of items: 1
  • Dimensions: 8.96" h x 1.01" w x 6.32" l, 1.01 pounds
  • Binding: Hardcover
  • 272 pages

From Booklist
Journalist Timmerman travels the globe in search of the factories that manufactured his clothing. Tracking a T-shirt, underwear, jeans, and flip-flops leads him from Honduras to Bangladesh to Cambodia and China. It is not surprising that he encounters heart-wrenching poverty or gains an eye-opening view of how much the average piece of American apparel is marked up. What is unexpected is the revelation of just how much harm is done to workers when overseas manufacturers are boycotted. Timmerman’s interviews with numerous factory workers make it clear that taking away their jobs is akin to creating a poverty tsunami. Yet, as Timmerman confesses, “There isn’t a single worker who makes my clothes who lives a life that I would find acceptable.” Like most of us, he wants a simple solution to the problem, rather than be faced with the paralyzing morass that is global poverty, and so he suggests some costly, if important solutions. The injustices of the global clothing industry must be more thoroughly researched and addressed. Timmerman’s heartfelt, if somewhat disjointed, chronicle is a good beginning. --Colleen Mondor

Review
"If you are interested in learning more, I recommend Kelsey's book. It's light reading...Give it a try!" (BromleyTimes.co.uk, January 14th 2009) "...his conclusion that "we should try to be engaged consumers not mindless pocketbooks" may be a valuable revelation." (Financial Times, January 24th 2009) "...puts globalization into human perspective. He Personalizes the stories of the people who make our clothes...highly entertaining and thought provoking" (Manchester Evening News, January 24th 2009) "Timmerman puts faces on the garment industry. This needs doing and he has the warmth, compassion and interest" (Irish Times, February 4th 2009) "...some of the realities - and myths...It's a personal take on a global issue. The corporate version of travel writing." (Ethical Corporation Magazine, February 2009) "Timmerman pull us right in to the lives of these people - forced into a life of hard labour." (4Men Magazine, April 2009)

From the Inside Flap

Ninety-seven percent of our clothes are made overseas. Yet globalization makes it difficult to know much about the origin of the products we buy—beyond the standard "Made in" label. So journalist and blogger Kelsey Timmerman decided to visit each of the countries and factories where his five favorite items of clothing were made and meet the workers. He knew the basics of globalized labor—the forces, processes, economics, and politics at work. But what was lost among all those facts and numbers was an understanding of the lives, personalities, hopes, and dreams of the people who made his clothes.

In Bangladesh, he went undercover as an under-wear buyer, witnessed the child labor industry in action, and spent the day with a single mother who was forced to send her eldest son to Saudi Arabia to help support her family. In Cambodia, he learned the difference between those who wear Levi's and those who make them. In China, he saw the costs of globalization and the dark side of the Chinese economic miracle.

Bouncing between two very different worlds—that of impoverished garment workers and his own Western lifestyle—Timmerman puts a personal face on the controversial issues of globalization and outsourcing. Whether bowling with workers in Cambodia or riding a roller coaster with laborers in Bangladesh, he bridges the gap between impersonal economic forces and the people most directly affected by them. For anyone who wants to truly understand the real issues and the human costs of globalization, Where Am I Wearing? is an indispensable and unforgettable journey.

Most helpful customer reviews

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Wonderful way to present our Global Society
By Barbara D Smith
This book was assigned to my son for an AP class he is taking. I was worried that the class would be to much, so I read the book first. I couldn't put it down and read it all in one evening. The author is careful to present the human aspects of "It's a Small World After All" He introduces us to the people who make the clothes we wear everyday. He presents their lives just as they are, almost as if he stepped back in time to the late 1800's here in America. He reminds the reader that working hard for little money is better than not working at all. That most developing countries go through a development stage, where each generation works hard in hopes that the next generation will have more. That time is slow and so is progress. I only hope that the rest of my son's AP class is as good as this first assignment. This is not a dry book of numbers or preachy.

0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Great reading!
By Linda Kirk
This book was written very well with a bit of humor. This book allows us an insight into the countries and the actual people that make our clothing.

The author allows us the opportunity to get to know a little about these people and their families. We normally do not think about things like that whenever we are out shopping for new clothes, but after reading this book, it has that affect on us.

0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Five Stars
By Jeanine P.
loved this book! came in early and in perfect condition. very satisfied

See all 32 customer reviews...

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman PDF
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman EPub
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman Doc
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman iBooks
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman rtf
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman Mobipocket
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman Kindle

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman PDF

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman PDF

Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman PDF
Where am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes, by Kelsey Timmerman PDF

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar